Follow us on twitter

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

50 fleeing B’Haram members arrested’

Fifty fleeing members of the Boko Haram sect were said to have been apprehended by soldiers in Biu, south of troubled Borno State.
Security sources revealed that the insurgents who were travelling from the Damboa axis of the state hid in a truck going to Gombe.
A security source told journalists that the arrested men were in the custody of the Nigerian Army and might have been detained at the Biu barrack.
The source said some youth vigilante in Biu suspected the truck carrying sheep and goats might have other things hidden in it. The suspicion made them to thoroughly search the vehicle and in the process, the 50 young men were discovered.
He said the arrested men confessed to being fighters of the Boko Haram Islamic sect, and were all on the run following the reported killing of their leader, Abubakar Shekau, by the military at Konduga last week

Monday, September 22, 2014

Abuja Freestyle Clip went Viral

video
Can you guess where this video clip was shot?

Abuja's Prolific Writer Storms Int'l Conference Centre with his Book Lunch: Guess Who

Komolafe Isaac is a good listener, a teacher, a writer, good speaker, and a strong believer in calling forth the future leaders today. he has served in many leadership capacities with different Christian organisations where his character, personality inspired many young people. With over 10years experience working wih young people and leaders. He has a leadership club and his interest for young people led him to found TFTC. He resides in Abuja Nigeria.

Sunday, September 21, 2014

INEC extends registration

The Independent National Electoral Commission has extended the second phase of its Continuous Voter Registration exercise by seven days in 11 states and the Federal Capital Territory.
This was contained in a statement by the commission, which said that the exercise would last from Monday, September 22 till Sunday, September 28.
According to the statement the affected states are Anambra, Bauchi, Cross River, Delta, Ebonyi, FCT, Jigawa, Kwara, Ondo, Oyo, Sokoto and Yobe, and the exercise will be carried out at the local government level of each state.
INEC advised eligible voters in the affected states to take the advantage of the extension to register in order to vote in the 2015 General Elections.
According to a statement made available to journalists on Friday in Ilorin, Kwara State, signed by the commission’s state Director of Voter Education and Publicity, Jacob Ayanda, the phase of the exercise became necessary because of widespread requests from Nigerians who are eager to get registered for onward participation in future electoral processes

Activists condemn NYSC call-up letters fee

The National Youth Service Corps has been criticised for its online call-up letter, which requires prospective corps members to pay N4,000 to download a copy.
According to the President of Women Arise, Dr. Joe Okei-Odumakin, charging a fee to download call-up letters is like defrauding Nigerian graduates.
The NYSC management had earlier defended the fee, saying the online portal was designed to safeguard the lives of intending corps members and to eliminate forgery.
Defending the payment, the Director of Corps Mobilisation in NYSC, Mr. Anthony Ani, had said, “Before orientation, every prospective corps member has to pass through a long process, including travelling to collect call-up letters. Sometimes many corps members have died while travelling to get their call-up letters, and most times, school officials may not be there.
“Coming to camp, you meet long queues during registration, while others bring fake call-up letters. Some prospective corps members change their dates of birth because they want to serve and get discharge certificates. Some institutions are admitting students without passing through the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board and enfolding them into unaccredited courses.”
However, Okei-Odumakin described the step taken by the NYSC as exploitative.
She said, “I believe this is another avenue of exploiting the already pauperised Nigerian youths, who are daily being subjected to all forms of exploitation without recourse to the prevailing economic reality in our society.”
Similarly, a lawyer and social commentator, Olufunke Oluwole, though commending the NYSC’s initiative, said the fee should have been less.
Oluwole said, “No, Nigerian should not be cheated again by a parastatal coming up with get-rich-quick schemes for enriching the pockets of a few. The proposed payment is unacceptable and we should, with one voice, raise a standard against this kind of behaviour rearing its ugly head again.
“I am appalled at the news that the NYSC intends to charge a fee for downloads of call-up letters. It is indeed reminiscent of the Nigeria Immigration Scheme employment saga that resulted in loss of innocent young lives, a few months ago.”
The legal practitioner added that the NYSC directive to prospective corps members “is an obvious failure of the system to understand that its processes and manner of application are a function of its performance and such a burden should not be passed to the beneficiary at any point in time.”

Source: Punch

Friday, September 19, 2014

Keyshia Cole ARRESTED For Assaulting Woman In Birdman's Condo


Keyshia Cole spent a not-so-pleasant Friday morning in jail ... after allegedly assaulting a woman who apparently spent the night with Keyshia's rumored BF.Keyshia showed up at the swanky Carlyle condo complex in West L.A. at around 5 AM. We're told she went there to see Birdman -- the CEO of Cash Money -- who she's reportedly dating.Our sources say ... for some reason security let her go up to Birdman's penthouse and when she got in she saw another woman and went nuts.We're told Keyshia attacked her ... leaving scratches all over her face.Cops were called ... and Keyshia was arrested for battery and an outstanding reckless driving warrant.She was just released on $46,000 bail.We called Keyshia's rep ... so far no comment.

Breaking News: Explosion and fire hits Abuja metropolis

A loud Explosion hit Abuja Metropolis and the emergency services re currently on their to the scene of the explosion. more info shall be coming your way soon

Jennifer Aniston Denying More Pregnancy Rumors While Brad Pitt Married Angelina Jolie

While Brad Pitt was off in France sneakily marrying Angelina Jolie, his ex-wife Jennifer Aniston has been, well, everywhere — especially in the headlines. The 45-year-old attended the Los Angeles premiere of her film Life of Crime on Wednesday night, walking the red carpet with a big smile just hours before the Brangelina wedding news hijacked the internet. While her sparkly silver Saint Laurent showed off one of her best assets — those legs! — the ill-fitting frock accentuated her midsection, sparking new rumors that she and fiancĂ© Justin Theroux, 43, are expecting their first child. The bulky black blazer she had over the dress did nothing to help the silhouette. [Related: Brad Pitt Steps Out Wearing Wedding Ring] However, Aniston has already shot down pregnancy rumors. In a new interview with Extra, the actress tackled the typical rumors she's been facing for years, ticking down a list, saying, "I'm not pregnant. I'm not married. What else?" Another tabloid tale, courtesy of In Touch on Wednesday, was that Aniston recently suffered a miscarriage. However, she let her rep handle that one, telling Gossip Cop the story was "completely fabricated." The actress's Wednesday night appearance on Jimmy Kimmel Live was much more light-hearted than miscarriage talk, but it did include chatter about babies. The fabulously coiffed star rocked a strapless LBD for her chat with her good pal Kimmel. During the silly segment, Aniston talked about visiting Kimmel's home after the recent birth of his new daughter, Jane, and revealed that she — gulp — sampled his wife Molly McNearney's breast milk. We'll let her give you the details: Kimmel then orchestrated a mini Friends reunion on a replica set that he had created of Rachel and Monica's kitchen with Courteney Cox and Lisa Kudrow making cameos. The night before, the busy actress was out again — this time with Theroux — feting another close pal and late night host, Chelsea Handler. The couple attended the Chelsea Lately finale party at Craig's in L.A. with a source telling Us Weekly that The Leftovers actor "had his arm around [Aniston's] shoulders. They were having such a fun time." Aniston and a star-studded group including Sandra Bullock and Gwen Stefani had appeared on the finale, which aired that night. While Aniston has been out and about non-stop this week, there was actually one place people thought she would go that she didn't. On Monday, Theroux went stag to HBO's Emmys bash, where he chatted with Girls star Allison Williams and Emmy winner Julianna Margulies. He even danced a bit — no surprise as he has some pretty fancy dance moves. Many were surprised that Aniston didn't accompany him to the party. Aniston may want to take a few days off from the public eye now that news broke that her ex-husband Pitt, whom she was married to from 2000 to 2005, married Jolie in France on Saturday. For most of the last decade, the trio has been tabloid fodder because Pitt fell in love with Jolie on the set of Mr. and Mrs. Smith while still married to Aniston. No doubt she'll be plagued with questions about the union — whether Pitt tipped her off that it was happening, if she'll be sending them a gift, and other equally awkward inquires. However, Pitt's relationship with Jolie seems like old news to the actress, who has a wedding of her own to plan. During her interview with Extra, she refused to divulge details about a possible date ("I don't know," she said, before quipping, "Really, you think I'm going to tell you here?"), but she talked about the institution of marriage. "I just think you live in the moment," she said when asked how she knew Theroux was the one. "I think you learn as you get older, too. Marriage is a wonderful thing. A relationship is a wonderful thing. It's a way to discover who you are." Perhaps she'll soon be following in Pitt's footsteps… back down the aisle.

FG bails out private power firms with N213bn

The Federal Government said on Friday that it had approved N213bn facility to rescue private electricity companies.
Minister of Petroleum Resources, Diezani Alison-Madueke, said this while speaking with State House correspondents at the Presidential Villa in Abuja.
She briefed journalists on ‘Electricity market stabilisation facility and the bankability of the power sector’.
“The CBN, in collaboration with the Deposit Money Banks, will provide a total facility of N213bn to settle both the legacy gas debts as announced on August 2 and also the shortfall in revenues to the sector since the handover of PHCN companies on November 1, 2013,” she said.
According to her, N36bn would be tied to commitments to supply specific volumes of gas-for-power and to negotiate and execute bankable gas supply agreements with power plants.
She also said there would be a new electricity tariff to reflect the new developments.
The minister said, “NERC (the National Electricity Regulatory Commission) will publish a reset tariff order (MYTO 2.1). This tariff order will take into account the CBN provided facility, current levels of energy output, the new baseline gas price and other variables that more closely reflect the true cost of running electricity businesses.”
She said the electricity market, mainly consisting of private operators, would repay the facility with a first-line charge on their revenues over a 10-year period.
She added that there would be a moratorium on repayment of the credit facility by the distribution companies until electricity supply improved across the country.
She said this would ensure that the cost of electricity for ordinary consumers continued to be affordable.
The minister added, “The CBN will, on a case-by case basis, be working with the Deposit Money Banks on some of the prudential guidelines associated with acquisition loans for electricity assets through extended restructure of the debts repayment during the moratorium period.
“This will only apply where it is clear that strains on loans are a direct result of recent, unforseen adjustments in the policies that guide the electricity market.
“The credit facility will be disbursed via commercial banks and a special purpose vehicle, which will be managed by a dedicated fund manager. This structure will ensure that the funds are repaid in full, within the time frame of the reset tariff order.”
With her at the briefing were the Minister of Power, Chinedu Nebo; Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria, Godwin Emefuele, and Chairman, Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission, Sam Amadi.

Microsoft cuts another 2,100 jobs

Microsoft has confirmed another 2,100 redundancies as part of a plan to cut 18,000 jobs, some 14 per cent of its workforce.
The software giant said 747 jobs will go in the Seattle area, with the rest spread across its global operations.
Microsoft had already cut 13,000 jobs, with the bulk at the Nokia phone division bought by the US company.
In July, chief executive Satya Nadella announced radical plans to move Microsoft away from software to online services, apps and devices.
Microsoft, which has about 127,000 people on its payroll, will take a charge of between $1.1bn (£672m) and $1.6bn for costs related to the cuts.
Microsoft said in a statement that the latest cuts “are spread across many different business units, and many different countries”.
In an email to staff in July, Nadella said that the “difficult but necessary” cuts are part of a plan to bring a new direction to the technology company.
“The first step to building the right organisation for our ambitions is to realign our workforce,” he said.
Microsoft completed its takeover of Nokia’s phone division in April in a move that strengthened its position in mobile devices. The cost was around $7.5bn.

Jonathan lauds corps member’s N10,000 donation to re-election bid

President Goodluck Jonathan on Friday expressed gratitude to a serving member of the National Youth Service Corps, Ezemagu Sunday Nnamdi, who was said to have donated N10,000 to his re-election bid.
A statement by the President’s Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Dr. Reuben Abati, quoted President Jonathan as saying in his appreciation letter to Nnamdi that he was deeply touched and encouraged by the donation.
“Your gracious gesture is particularly gratifying, coming as it does from one of our nation’s vibrant and gifted youths who are our successor generation and for whom our Administration is unequivocally committed to providing the requisite environment to optimally realize their tremendous creative and productive potentials.
“As I carry on with the task of positively transforming our country for its God-ordained greatness and prosperity, I will continue to count on the goodwill as well as the practical and prayerful support of committed patriots like you,” President Jonathan wrote to the young Nigerian, Ezemagu Sunday Nnamdi who is currently serving in the National Youth Service Corps.
Nnamdi was said to have sent the donation before the Peoples Democratic Party adopted Jonathan as its sole candidate in the forthcoming presidential election in 2015.
Abati quoted the President as thanking Nnamdi and welcoming his expression of faith in the Federal Government’s ongoing efforts to reposition Nigeria for sustained growth and development.
“The President assured Sunday and other young Nigerians that he will continue to do his best in the service of the nation in keeping with their trust and expectations,” Nnamdi was said to have stated in his letter forwarding his donation to the President, assured President Jonathan of the continued support of patriotic Nigerians and urged him to seek re-election in 2015.
The corps member added, “Nigerians are behind you. We see your good works in power, transportation, education, housing, ICT, sports, electoral reforms, observation of the principle of federal character and the creation of investment opportunities.
“The insurgents who are trying to destabilise your Administration are enemies of peace and progress. You will surely defeat them.”

NNPC unions, PENGASSAN, NUPENG shelve planned strike

The labour unions in the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, Petroleum and Gas Senior Staff Association and the National Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers on Friday resolved to suspend their planned strike, which would have paralysed the whole country if the planned industrial action takes off.
NAN reports that the planned strike has been shelved owing to the intervention of the Minister of Petroleum, Mrs. Diezani Alison-Madueke